Artist HO HUU THU
Full name is Hồ Hữu Thủ.
- 1940: Born in Nghe An province, Vietnam
- 1963: Graduated from the National Fine Art College of Saigon, Vietnam
- Before 1975: Professor of National Fine Arts College of Saigon, Vietnam
- 1965-1974: Member of Saigon Young Artists Association
- Present: Member of Vietnam Fine Arts Association and Ho Chi Minh City Fine Arts Association, Vietnam
- 1963-1974: Annually participated in The Young Artists Association’s exhibitions
- 1972: First solo exhibition at Alliance Francaise in Saigon
- 1992: “Art and Material ‘92” at Singapore National Museum Art Gallery.
- 1992: Asian Master Gallery Bhd- Malaysia
- 1993: “New Space Exhibition” by Vietnamese and Singaporean artists
- 1994: Exhibition at Fine Art Museum of Ho Chi Minh City
- 1994: “L’Espace Jaques Prevert”, France
Dunkerque City Hall, France
Gallery Bellin, France
- 1994: “Asian – Vietnam International Modern Art”, Ho Chi Minh City.
- 1996: Fujita Vent Art Museum, Japan
- 1996: 2nd Asian – Vietnam International Contemporary Arts , Ho Chi Minh City.
- 1999: Vinh Loi Gallery, Ho Chi Minh City
- 2000: Vietnam Museum of Fine Art, Hanoi
- 2000: “Golden Colorado”, Oakland Asian Cultural Centre, California, USA
- 2001: “Vietnam – Japan Art” at the Fine Art Museum of Ho Chi Minh City
- 2001: Vinh Loi Gallery, Ho Chi Minh City
- 2002: Participated in “EPIC Exhibition” at Gajah Gallery in Singapore
- 2002: “Ho Huu Thu – Nguyen Trung Exhibition” at Gajah Gallery, Singapore
- 2003: Solo Exhibition at Gajah Gallery, Singapore
- 2004: Participated in “Asian Masters Exhibition”, Singapore
- 2005: Participated in exhibition organized by World Bank Group, USA
- 2007: Group Exhibitions “The Touch of Vietnam” in Singapore
- 2007-2009: Annually participated in Recent works exhibition in Ho Chi Minh City
- 1960: Silver Medal Award, Fine Arts Competition organized by ESSO
- 1990: National Fine Arts Competition Prize
Ho Huu Thu’s paintings have been selected for display in Vietnam National Museum of Fine Arts, Ho Chi Minh City Museum of Fine Arts and overseas Museum. His artworks were sold well at Christies and Sotheby’s auctions.
Ho Huu Thu’s abstract world of vibrantly colourful, resonantly rhythmic painting in lacquer on wood is the result of his search for the truth that exists in the soul when man has discarded his prejudice, ideas and knowledge; each painting is an attempt to create each time something totally new. Deeply immersed in Buddhism, his work reveals a gentleness, and exudes a sense of tenderness and romance.
Ho Huu Thu’s Collection
‘Object art, to me, is like the releasing of the soul…abstract art, it is the truth of the soul’.